Monday, March 16, 2009

Oh Yum! Danish Brunsviger




Danish Caramel Cardamom Cake "Brunsviger"

When I lived in Denmark there was this amazing treat called "Brunsviger" that you can buy in the bakeries. This is a speciality of the island I lived on "Funen." I have thought about this treat several times since living there and wanted to see if I could recreate it. Danes often have this on birthdays or special occasions.


So I found some recipes online and had to do lots of metric conversions and fooling around. I made two batches, the first one was pretty good but wasn't quite like I remember then I did a second batch and changed some of the amount of ingredients and it was much better. So here is the yummy treat recipe.

For the dough:

½ cup milk, lukewarm
1 ½ Tbs yeast

1 tbsp. sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 egg

2 cups flour

4 Tbs melted butter
1 ½ tsp cardamom- this is good but you don’t have to have it


For the topping:

2/3 cup butter-

1 cup brown sugar-use dark brown sugar, it tastes better

Preheat oven to 400.

* Dissolve the yeast in the milk. Add egg, sugar, salt, cardamom and flour, holding back a couple spoonfuls of the flour - beat well. Add the melted butter, beat again. Add more flour as necessary, kneading until you have a glossy, slightly sticky dough, sorta like the dough for cinnamon rolls. I did this in my Bosch, but it can of course be done by hand. Transfer the dough to a clean bowl and leave to rise for 1-1½ hours

*Grease your 9 X13 pan with butter. Deflate the dough and push it into the brownie pan - make sure you cover the entire pan - it will rise again, Leave to rise again, ½-1 hour.

* Make the topping: in a small saucepan melt the butter with the sugar. Let it come to the boil, then take off the heat. Dimple the now risen dough, so you'll have lots of holes to be filled with sugar. Pour the sugar-butter mixture over the dimpled dough and put everything in the oven.

*Bake for 15-20 minutes- Let is cool for 10 minutes- I didn’t and I burned my tongue on the flaming hot sugar.

1 comments:

Thomas said...

I'd really quite like if you'd try these recipes out on us sometime when we are down.
-Maile